Wednesday, June 22, 2011

New Beginnings -- Real Estate and Discipline

We all set goals. The question is whether we meet them. It's easy to make a long "to do" list but the challenge is actually doing the items on the list.

At The Ericson Team at RE/MAX North Professionals, we are great at brainstorming creative ideas. And we're great at follow through -- if we say we're going to do something, you can count on us. Trouble is, we want to do so much! And the balance of work and personal time is difficult but crucial. Because if we can't create balance, everyone suffers.

We work with Kim DuBrul as our business coach, which means we have someone we are accountable to. This is important to us because it helps us live on purpose both in our real estate business and in our personal lives. They are often too closely entwined, and quite frankly, the real estate can take over. So, our coach has us set goals, check in with her when we meet those goals, and continually work to improve ourselves and our business model.

This creates a benefit to our buyers and sellers also. We focus on what their needs are and set aside specific times to work on marketing, on ways to better present properties for sale, and on market analyses for properties our clients are selling or buying. We make calls to people who we think might like a property we have for sale and we call back agents who have brought buyers to our properites. If we stay on task, we have time for ourselves personally.

What is #1 for Karin today? Getting up early and practicing discipline. To start, I looked again at the video by Robin Sharma http://youtu.be/z6hsOLVwFc
I also put aside time this morning to write. It's a passion that has been relegated to "if I have time" status. Not okay anymore. Funny that the day after the longest day of the year is the day I decided to start getting up early. I am a night owl, so it's hard for me to change a lifetime of habits, but one day at a time, I'm going to do it. It's about discipline. If I really focus on my goals and discipline myself, anything is possible.

The more I discipline myself personally, the more work I get done because I schedule activities instead of activities scheduling me. I stay on task.

And our clients and customers benefit from extra time we can focus on their needs. Win-win has always been the best outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment