Wednesday, September 7, 2011

After the Hurricane

I'm feeling really blessed these days because in Burlington, where I live, we just got some moisture in our basement in the aftermath of the hurricane. All we need is a dehumidifier to take care of the dampness. But we are seeing and hearing about such terrible destruction, that I feel very lucky that we didn't have damage.

Tonight, a friend from Waterbury said houses in the South Main area were pulled off foundations. Houses that were for sale a year ago -- houses I showed buyers -- were devastated. Water throughout the first floor, belongings now strewn on front lawns. Another family had water in the back yard, moving toward the house. In five minutes, it was on the front lawn. She grabbed her kids and in the time it took to get their coats on, the water was so high she had to carry the two of them and slog through thigh deep water!

All of our loans are going through an appraisal reinspection to make sure the hurricane did not destroy the house that banks were about to loan money on! I understand the reason why but most of our loans are closing late because of the reinspection. We are now telling buyers and sellers to expect delays.

I guess if it's a delay versus losing a house, I'll take the delay. And I am very thankful that all I have is a damp basement.

No comments:

Post a Comment