Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Colors in Your Home - Psychology Lesson?

On rainy days I love visiting the paint section of Home Depot or Lowe's. Why? Because it gives me a boost to think of how I can change the mood of my home by changing the paint color. I grab lots of samples, especially the historic home series, and then bring them home to see them in the light of our house. For less than $40/gallon, I can transform a room into a fresh living space, and change it as often as I like.

As a former art teacher, I know there is psychology of color -- For my design class, I asked students on a test, "If you are the coach of a football team and you want your opponents to relax during half time, what color would you paint the visiting locker room?" Most got the answer right - any cool color like blue or green.

I recently took a look at the website freshome.com and to create peace and tranquility, they suggest pink! Made me think about a "brain walk" I completed recently. In the exercise, I think of a challenge in my life, write a question directed at fixing that challenge, and then trace my finger along a winding maze -- to the center color of pink. My friend and coach Kim DuBrul says to think of the color pink when you want to relax. (Visit Kim at youryearoftransformation.com)

It made me start thinking of room colors. The website says to change your colors during certain seasons -- warm colors in the winter make the house seem warmer both visually and termperature-wise also as darker, warmer colors absorb light. In the summer, paint the rooms a cooler color. I am not sure I would want to do this every season! But this seems like a good idea if you are selling in a particular season. Why not paint your entry way a warm and inviting color? Then the room next to it can also be a warm color. We have shades of rust and gold in our entry and living room. If your furniture is neutral, it can easily fit in with a color change of the walls.

The website suggests you carefully choose the paint for the bathroom and do not choose one that does not complement your skin tones -- in other words, I won't wear bright yellow because it makes my skin look sallow. Very few people look good in bright yellow. So, paint the bathroom a color that looks good "on people." When someone is looking at a house to buy, they often glance in the mirror. They may be unconsciously turned off because the color makes them look bad! Try blue -- everyone looks good in blue!

Red kitchens make you hungry -- do they also make you feel like cooking? If that is the case, then paint a wall in your kitchen red, inviting the potential buyers to feel like cooking! Better still, be sure to add a plate of cookies to the counter during showings so they not only smell a great kitchen but they picture themselves cooking there. Beware of red in the bedroom.... the website says that red walls can up your blood pressure and can make you agitated. Not something you want to promote when you are trying to relax!

My bedroom is yellow right now. Maybe it's time to visit Home Depot and grab a gallon of cool-colored paint.

No comments:

Post a Comment